Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Spinach & Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe

I made the YUMMIEST dinner tonight. My son (usually the pickier one), Ryan, loved it & "cleaned his plate"!! So, I'm putting the recipe "out there" for you all to try if you like. :)



Spinach & Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe

  • 4 - 6 large marinated, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I had 4 & the ones I ended up with were HUGE & perfect for stuffing - from the meat counter, not frozen ones)
  • 1 block of cream cheese (I used the lower fat Neufchatel cheese instead)
  • 1 package of frozen spinach (thawed & dried a bit)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 c of sour cream - to soften it a little & make it easier to mash it all together.
  • slices of Swiss cheese (I used 3 - 4 smaller ones cut from a block instead of deli sliced)
  • Lowry's Season Salt

Cut a slit into the chicken breasts on the side, going pretty much the full length of the chicken breast, but not cutting all the way through the other side.
In a bowl, mix cream cheese & spinach, and warm in the microwave just to soften the cream cheese a little. Add in sour cream a bit at a time, only as needed to be able to make a kind of paste with spinach & cream cheese. It should be like a stiff cheese dip in consistency.
Put the "paste" in the chicken breasts - try to tuck it back in as far as you can - it actually will expand & overflow out of the breast as it cooks; Place stuffed chicken in an oiled (Olive Oil) 9 x 13 pan. Put slices of Swiss cheese across the top of the breasts (to taste), sprinkle with Lowry's Season Salt & bake @ 385 until chicken is cooked through (it took mine about 45 mins - keep an eye on it!).
I served mine with fresh, broiled asparagus... it was GREAT!

14 comments:

  1. Love this!!!!!! Will add this to my monthly dinners for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this. Thank you so much for posting it. It was easy, prep time was minimal, and it was an easy clean up. Definitely going in my favorite recipes pile! It tastes fabulous and looks like it takes a long time to prepare. It will be used at a dinner party soon so people think I slaved over it...haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :) I think it's on the menu for next week... I'm thinking we may try it on the grill...

      Delete
  3. Going to make SOON! YUM! Thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome - it's totally a favorite around here & not too "fussy" to make. :)

      Delete
  4. Going to cook this tonight:) do you cook the spinach first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope - just thaw & use it with the cream cheese as is once you have dried it out a bit. It's cooked enough when you take it out!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's great any way you make it - I've done both marinated & not marinated. Yummy as long as you have chicken breasts that are big enough to stuff! ;)

      Delete
  6. Going to cook it on the weekend, thanks for sharing. Looks yummy, I too have a picky eater at home, hope it works for him

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this for dinner tonight. I didn't have swiss cheese so I used gouda cheese and it was outstanding. Thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I' so glad you liked it! It's a family favorite for us. I also tried it with strips of bacon wrapped on the outside (held on with toothpicks so I could flip without them falling apart) on the grill and it was incredibly good. :)

      Delete
  8. I made this for dinner tonight. I didn't have swiss cheese so I used gouda cheese and it was outstanding. Thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete