Monday, July 26, 2010

On the Water... aka: Heaven!

We went to my favorite place on Earth last weekend ~ my parent's cabin near Hayward, WI.  I LOVE going there. It is like, a lifesaver to a drowning person!  It makes me relaxed & soothes me so that I slow down and just exist with our family. :) I can't really describe how beautiful it is...

This time on our trip there, we did some shopping & bought Makenzie her "running shoes" - one pair for everyday use & a set for P.E. class - they require a separate pair that stays at school & is only worn for P.E. I totally think this is stupid, but whatever. Thank God, they were on clearance, so the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been!  She was running around in them when we got back to the cottage & I said, "Wow, your new shoes are SO fast!" and Kenzie responded, "Mom. It isn't the shoes, it's my legs!" :) Wise little one!

My new fabrics...  These colors are awesome!! : )
On our shopping trip, I stopped at River's Edge Quilt Shop (& Antiques) - one of my favorite quilt shops. Gail, the owner, has some WONDERFUL fabrics - I love all her batiks... but I talked myself out of them this time... I'm sure I'll be going back there the next time I'm at the lake! But this time, I bought a little bit of fabric to go with some fat quarters I bought this spring - they are the "2010 Hoffman Challenge" fabrics which are all creams, aquas, and bright greens. Totally my colors! (I'll upload some pics if you want to see them, but the pics probably won't do them justice!) They are so pretty, in my humble opinion, but Tim doesn't think so. I showed the fabrics to him in the care & he just made a face like, "Ewww, really?", but didn't really say anything. Funny!! I told him once the fabric makes a quilt, it will be awesome!  He knows I'm right - it's amazing what putting fabric together with complementary colors can do! : )

My big boy Ryan was sick, poor guy - fever of 101 & just not feeling well on Saturday, so he stayed home & napped, but by Sunday morning he was on the upswing. : ) He got to go out fishing with Tim on Sunday & he caught a smallmouth bass & 3 perch, so he was absolutely thrilled.  Ryan is a good little fisherman - and he is funny because he doesn't just want to catch a bunch of small fish (panfish), he wants to catch BIG fish (walleyes, big smallmouths, etc), so he knows that he needs to be patient.  I wish that would translate to being patient for dinner too!!!

Tim spent time fixing things, as usual. : ) He is amazing & can do anything... He found the tiny hole in the shingles & patched it, so now the roof isn't leaking anymore.  I was totally fretting about that, and Dad thought we would have to replace the roof, so that is a HUGE relief. Tim thinks we can put off reroofing for a couple more years - whew! That is good news!!  He also tore apart the baseboards and filled the place the mice were coming in with steel wool, then put the baseboards right down to the floor, so hopefully the little buggers will stay outside where they BELONG! There must be a huge population of mice this year, because there were 2 in the traps when we got there this Friday & the week before we caught 3 mice, and one of them was in our VAN! : P ick... sometimes I miss the cats that the neighbors used to have!!

Macatawa Musky Frog  LOVE IT!!
My articulated turtle decoy - head, legs, & tail all move!!
Tim spoils me...
Tim also worked on the data spreadsheet for the people attending Wisconsin Dells Fishing Lure Meet that we run... Tim does so much work to make sure it comes off without a hitch! We collect antique (and some contemporary) fishing lures & are part of the National Fishing Lure Collector's Club (NFLCC).  This is a passion that we kind of "inherited" from my dad - I was the only one in our family that would sit down there in his office/fishing lure room and listen to his "lectures" on the baits. : )  He was always so good about explaining things to me - the differences that help determine what baits you have & how old they are. It is a pretty amazing hobby, and it helps document an interesting piece of American history that you certainly don't learn about at school! I like to collect Ice Fishing Decoys - they are amazingly cool!! Tim has found a couple of really great contemporary carvers who make absolutely GORGEOUS decoys & he has gotten me some for birthdays/Mother's Day/Christmas. I got the most amazing Macatawa Musky Frog & I also wanted a turtle so, so much, and I got one from him this year - I LOVE it!! : D

We all got out fishing on Saturday night - Ryan thought he could handle it, and I'm sure the medicine helped a great deal.  I love fishing as a family. Just being in the boat together is nice, even if we don't catch anything, which essentially, we didn't. There was a ton of boat traffic on the lake this weekend, so all of our "usual spots" had people on them, and we hate being right on top of everyone - it's rude. So, we ended up going where apparently, there were no fish. : )  We ended up on one spot that is kind of fickle - the fish come thru, but it's always a crap shoot what time. I think we were too early. Anyway, Makenzie caught a very nice 15 inch smallmouth bass, the only fish to get in the boat, only to be released back into the water. : ) And then she proceeded to "get bored" and complain, complain, complain, COMPLAIN until we couldn't take it anymore, so we did our "one last cast" (unless someone catches something, which we didn't) and headed for the dock and an early (9:15) bedtime.  Even Tim I were sleepy early on Saturday!

Leaving the lake is always sucky.  It invariably happens that we leave on the nicest day of the weekend/week that we are there. Yesterday was no exception to that rule. Sunny, low 80's, light breeze, and not a cloud in the sky. It figures.  We have people who were using the cabin this week, and so we had to pull the boat out of the lake so they could use the boatlift.  The one good thing about that was it gave us an excuse to take an hour long boatride on a gorgeous day. : ) We went down around the islands, which always makes me frustrated when we don't have a fishing pole in the boat because it looks like the perfect place to fish, and then just randomly flew all over the lake as fast as the boat can go.  Windy, cool, and pretty. I love seeing the loons - there were a LOT this time, and that is good news, as far as I'm concerned! Finally, we headed for home to take the boat out, pack up, clean up the cottage, and leave for Fall Creek. : ( I would live at the lake if I could!! 

I ran 1.5 miles with my wonderful neighbor, Heather, when I got home.  It was really nice to have someone to talk to, even though I was gasping a lot to maintain a conversation! We made it the whole way in about 22.5 minutes, but after 2 days not running, I don't think that is horrible, for me. : ) Thanks, Heather!!  It is so nice to run with a friend! I haven't weighed myself yet this week, but I'm sure I probably haven't lost anything. Story of my life! ; ) I'm thinking about doing "2-a-days" for August & running the 1.5 both morning & night.  I wonder if it would actually make a difference? I'll let you know! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment