Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cutting the Strings

Ok, maybe not quite cutting the strings, but it sort of seemed like it... our laptop died 2 days ago. It was fine in the morning, and I closed it up to have some fun at the movies & the park with the kids & a friend.  We got bacck home around 4 & I popped up the screen to see what had been going on in cyberworld while I was enjoying the real world & nothing happened. So I shut down & restarted. Nothing happened. WTH?? Tried again, got mad, & Tim took over before I threw the damn thing across the room in frustration. Then it was me trying to keep HIM from throwing it across the room in frustration... and that was it.

We have tried everything we can think of to get it running enough to try to do SOMETHING with it, but now we turn it on & then it turns back off by itself in less than 2 seconds, so no luck. Farewell, my computing friend - it was fun.  I appreciate you being so flexible & wireless - the first time I had the pleasure of walking around computing with no wires attached... and that was sweet. I should have named the computer Pinochio - "I've got no strings to hold me down..." I learned (against my will) to use the touchpad & use it skillfully. Eventually, I didn't even want a mouse anymore - talk about a 180. I'd love for all my computers to have no mouse - the one at school trips people more often than not, because my students come over by the computer desk & it isn't up against the wall - the wires are just "out there" in spite of my attempts to control them with velcro strips.
I started my blog with you, Facebooked with you, & farmed on MyFarm too much with you (but my kids like "farming" & have fun with that). We also learned that buying "open stock" from Best Buy doesn't necessarily mean it was just a display & not previously owned by someone else - you were owned by someone before us & apparently returned... I wonder if it had anything to do with that defective wireless issue?
 I also learned that HP is a wonderful company who stands behind their product. I totally like HP. :) Best Buy... well, we ended up there, but I'm still not a huge fan.  The whole paying for an extended warranty thing is baloney, in my humble opinion, simply to help them make extra money. How many of their products need to be fixed & use the warranty? If it's that many, they need to represent & sell better products. If it isn't that many, then it's just a cash cow, right? Nice to take advantage of your customer... if that is the case I'd rather just buy a new computer, because this one is under warranty for a year & after that, either I pay (the amount I would have paid for the warranty) to fix it, or I pony up a couple hundred more for a new computer, like we just did, and get one that is relatively updated.  Of course, the one we liked was the last one, but "we can purchase the open stock" if we want... um, no thanks. However, the guy who helped us did a good job of finding us the deal that was advertized in their flyer, but not displayed in the store... whoever you are, thanks. We really appreciated your help... :)

So now I have a new Compaq Presario that I'm writing this on... and I'm trying to remember all of my "favorites" so I can run life & finances from my little corner of the couch. Thankfully, I took the time last week to write all of my important websites in my Organizer with all the sign-ins & passwords. I would recommend that you do this if you haven't - it's a good back-up & safer than another method I have used at times - putting the password in my favorites. Not smart! Maybe I had a premonition this crash was coming... but it was a good thing I had written everything down, simply because I had all the websites written down & it made it easy to re-enter them on this computer. I knew the stupid passwords anyway because I use them every day. Crazy. :)

Anyway, rest in pieces, HP computer... funeral, ritual cursing of the deceased, and smashing with hammers took place yesterday.  Off to Recycle Heaven for you... or is that like, computer reincarnation instead of Heaven? Either way, it's been real & it was nice while it lasted, but it's time for me to move on.

And my exciting new love, Compaq, welcome to the family... hope you can stick around for a loooonnnnggg time - we have a lot to do together!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment